Blog

firkas

On the northwestern edge of the Venetian Port of Chania is the Firka fortress built to protect the harbor entrance. In the fort were the headquarters of the military governor of the city. Internally there were barracks and war materials warehouses.

The west wing buildings are constructed on two floors and in the center of the courtyard there is a large tank that collects the water from the roofs. During the Turkish occupation, the Firkas was used as barracks and as a prison and in our time it is honored with the anniversary of December 1, the date of union of Crete with Greece in 1913, a celebration and ceremony by displaying the Greek flag.

23rd October 2015
firkas

Fortress Firkas

On the northwestern edge of the Venetian Port of Chania is the Firka fortress built to protect the harbor entrance. In the fort were the headquarters […]
22nd October 2015
naytiko-mouseio

Naval Museum of Crete

At the entrance of the Fortress of Firkas there is the Naval Museum of Crete. It was created in 1973, with the aim to preserve the […]
18th October 2015
faros

Faros of Chania, Crete

Turning back time, to the era of Venetian and Ottoman rule we find that the city of Chania had developed trade and shipping. Because of the […]